Friday 26 June 2015

Daughter of Dusk by Livia Blackburne

GoodReads: After learning the truth about her bloodlines, Kyra can’t help but feel like a monster.

Though she’s formed a tentative alliance with the Palace, Kyra must keep her identity a secret or risk being hunted like the rest of her Demon Rider kin. Tristam and the imprisoned assassin James are among the few who know about her heritage, but when Tristam reveals a heartbreaking secret of his own, Kyra’s not sure she can trust him. And with James’s fate in the hands of the palace, Kyra fears that he will give her away to save himself.

As tensions rise within Forge's Council, and vicious Demon Rider attacks continue in surrounding villages, Kyra knows she must do something to save her city. But she walks a dangerous line between opposing armies: will she be able to use her link to the Demon Riders for good, or will her Makvani blood prove to be deadly?

- Add to GoodReads
Expected publication date: 04/08/15

Daughter of Dusk picks up where Midnight Thief left off. This book is focused around the rising tensions between Forge's Council and the Demon Riders, as opposed to the previous book which was centered around the Guild vs. Council. Kyra struggles with who she is and who she thinks she'll become if she gives into her Makvani blood line. It also explores the line between good and bad, and how sometimes it's not easy to distinguish between the two.

I was disappointed with the role James played in this book, to me he didn't have enough page time. It kind of felt like he was there for the purpose of Kyra's character development. I really enjoyed the Guild arc in the first book, so I guess I felt let down that there wasn't much exploration into it in Daughter of Dusk.

The romance with Tristam was sweet but not particularly moving. It didn't really make me feel anything, it was just there. I did, however, enjoy the relationship between Flick and Kyra - I've said it many times before and I'll say it again, I love seeing platonic relationships between male and female characters. There needs to be more of them I say. 

In my opinion this would have worked better as a trilogy, because it wouldn't have felt as rushed and the Guild arc of the story could have been explored more. Overall though, despite a few issues here and there it was a satisfying end to the story.

Rating:

5 comments:

  1. I've heard of this series but haven't given it much thought about actually picking it up myself. Despite the fact that it was a satisfying conclusion, I'm not entirely sure this is for me. Still, thanks for such a helpful and honest review, Renu! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gorgeous review Renu. <3 I'm glad you liked this book. But aw, I'm sorry it was disappointing :\ But haaaah, I must admit that I'm thrilled there was little of James. Couldn't stand him in the first book :p I must read this one soon too :) Thank you for sharing about it sweetie. <3

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like that there is a strong platonic friendship between a boy and a girl! I wish there were more of them too.
    Still not sure if I'm gonna read this duology. :/ It doesn't sound particularly exciting to me.
    Lovely review, lady!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my goodness! Is this series not a trilogy then!! *I am slightly in shock* I so sure there HAD to be a third book! I was slightly disappointed with this second book but I had hope that a third book was going to pick it again and it was just a suffer of second book syndrome, but I guess that isn't going to happen!

    - Hills of Books

    ReplyDelete