Tuesday 18 December 2012

Altered by Jennifer Rush

Summary: When you can’t trust yourself, who can you believe?

Everything about Anna’s life is a secret. Her father works for the Branch at the helm of its latest project: monitoring and administering treatments to the four genetically altered boys in the lab below their farmhouse. There’s Nick, Cas, Trev . . . and Sam, who’s stolen Anna’s heart. When the Branch decides it’s time to take the boys, Sam stages an escape, killing the agents sent to retrieve them.

Anna is torn between following Sam or staying behind in the safety of her everyday life. But her father pushes her to flee, making Sam promise to keep her away from the Branch, at all costs. There’s just one problem. Sam and the boys don’t remember anything before living in the lab—not even their true identities.

Now on the run, Anna soon discovers that she and Sam are connected in more ways than either of them expected. And if they’re both going to survive, they must piece together the clues of their past before the Branch catches up to them and steals it all away.

- Add to GoodReads
Expected publication date: 02/01/13

Altered is an engaging sci-fi debut with action, mystery, and romance.
Anna and her dad monitor and administrate treatments to the four genetically altered boys in the lab below their farmhouse. When the Branch decides it’s time to take the boys outside of their confinement they -along with Anna- make an escape and find themselves on the run...
There was plenty of action in Altered. The plot twists were brilliant and unpredictable, but my favourite aspect of the book was the mystery. I enjoyed tagging along with Anna and the guys as the mystery began unfolding and they discovered new clues, it was like watching a really good episode of CSI. The whole concept of Altered is original and interesting. There was an underlying debate between science vs human nature. Do the boys really care about Anna or are they just programmed to fell protective over her? And just how far is too far?
Anna is a brilliant protagonist. Even when on the run from the life she's always known she doesn't whine. She knows how to take care of herself and when push comes to shove she doesn't sit around and wait for something to happen she acts.
Each boy had a distinctive voice and were lovable in their own right. Sam, the love interest and my favourite out of the guys is the broody leader. Cas is hilarious, when things get tense he lightens the mood and brings a smile to your face. Nick, is the one you'll probably end up having a love/hate relationship with, for most of the book he's hostile towards Anna, but then you learn a bit about his past and begin to warm to him. Finally, Trev is smart, sweet and caring. He's the guy you can share all your secrets with and will lend you a shoulder to cry on.
The romance between Anna and Sam was slowly drawn out through sexual tension and I was rooting for them through out the book. They are definitely on my list of favourite fictional couples!

Rating:

20 comments:

  1. You say a really good episode of CSI and I'm off to add it on my to-read list! :) I love CSI but haven't read many good mystery books :) This one sounds like one of them. I can't wait to read it :) I love the sound of character! You know..now I can't wait to read it :)
    Amazing review :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm definitely putting this on my to-read list. Sounds so good! Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  3. it was like watching a really good episode of CSI. lol cause the last few seasons were meh for me.

    i want this book but i have the chance to pre order it yet. great review

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! This sounds great! And a non-whiny protag? Sign me up ;) Thanks so much for stopping by my blog today and for putting Altered on my radar. Off to add it to the TBR :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Renu! Thanks for stopping by my blog :)
    I was just eyeing this book yesterday when I was putting together this week's Friday Forecast. The cover is very intriguing and I was going to look it up today and read some reviews and you helped in that aspect. This sounds like a really good read. I love a book with a strong female protagonist and lots of twists and turns and surprises. Plus a slow burning romance and no love triangle, that makes it a good read!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh this is a great review Renu, when I first saw this book I didn't really think it would be for me, but your enthusiasm in your review has definitely nudged me in giving this a try! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Aww, awesome review :D This book does sound good. And the cover is quite stunning ;) Hih. Was a bit worried that there might be a love triangle. But you didn't mention that, so I'm hoping there isn't :D The romance does sound sweet :) Glad you liked this book <3

    ReplyDelete
  8. New follower here! OMG,your blog is the cutest! I love it so much.

    It's been awhile since I read a great dystopian, paranormal novel and this one seems great. And it has more than one guy? *fans herself*

    Zemira @ YA Fanatic

    ReplyDelete
  9. Unpredictable and brilliant plot twists? That's EXCITING!! And the romance sounds really charming. I think I'll be looking forward to its release in January. Thank you, Renu!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is in my 2013 TBR list, and you just made me more excited.
    I cant wait!!!!
    Lil Berry @ Forget About TV, Grab a Book

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yes! I'm so pleased you enjoyed this too! I agree that it was unpredictable and that the boys were brilliant characters. We see eye to eye on this one. Awesome review! :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Brilliant protagonist and favourite fictional couples??? I want to read this. Great review :D

    -Dannielle

    ReplyDelete
  13. I've been seeing Altered everywhere, but hadn't read the reviews. I'm glad I red yours, though, because this sounds really good. Great plot. Cute guys ? Count me in!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm back in the world of blogging :)

    I actually haven't heard much about this one but I love the sound of the premise and the romance. And, it's always great to have a distinct cast of characters and a heroine that's not whiny and capable of taking care of herself.

    Great review, Renu! I'll be checking this one out.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love mystery and romance! This sounds wonderful. Great review Renu! :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Awesome! I always love books with great, unique guy characters and a strong female lead! Thanks for the wonderful review Renu! Will be reading Altered too someday.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love CSI! I need to add this one ASAP. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  18. This sounds interesting! This is the first review I've read, and it's great :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Great review- I can't wait to read it now! I want to meet this Sam ;)

    ReplyDelete
  20. I've been hearing such great things about this book, and you made me VERY excited! I definitely need a great book filled with unpredictable twists and turns right now! Lovely review :)

    ReplyDelete