Tuesday 31 October 2023

Review: All This Twisted Glory by Tahereh Mafi

As the long-lost heir to the Jinn throne, Alizeh has finally found her people—and she might’ve found her crown. Cyrus, the mercurial ruler of Tulan, has offered her his kingdom in a twisted exchange: one that would begin with their marriage and end with his murder.

Cyrus’s dark reputation precedes him; all the world knows of his blood-soaked past. Killing him should be easy—and accepting his offer might be the only way to fulfill her destiny and save her people. But the more Alizeh learns of him, the more she questions whether the terrible stories about him are true.

Ensnared by secrets, Cyrus has ached for Alizeh since she first appeared in his dreams many months ago. Now that he knows those visions were planted by the devil, he can hardly bear to look at her—much less endure her company. But despite their best efforts to despise each other, Alizeh and Cyrus are drawn together over and over with an all-consuming thirst that threatens to destroy them both.

Meanwhile, Prince Kamran has arrived in Tulan, ready to exact revenge…

📌 Add to GoodReads
📌 Disclaimer: I received an e-arc for review from the publisher    
📌 Publication date: 15/02/2024

All This Twisted Glory was one of my most anticipated releases of 2024, so I was excited to see it available for review. I loved the first two books in the series and gave them 5 stars, so it hurts to give this one 3.5 stars. 

Let's get into why. I enjoyed the small glimpse of Cyrus we got at the end of book one and hoped we would see more of him in the sequel. Also, that he would become a love interest, as I wasn't a fan of Kamran. Tahereh delivered both of these things in These Infinite Threads. I loved the development and exploration of Alizeh's and Cyrus' relationship in the sequel, and how much page time was spent on this. One of my issues, however, with All This Twisted Glory was that Cyrus' POV was included. Let me preface this by saying that I was actually pleased when I first heard that his POV was going to be included. It's unfortunate then that it became one of the downfalls of the book. Being in Cyrus' head changed my view of him. He went from being a cool, mysterious love interest to an angsty emo boy. The internal angst and lack of dialogue from his POV was too much. Don't get me wrong, I felt for him because he has certainly been through a LOT.  It's just that the constant moping got tiring after a while. The romance was the thing I was most looking forward to, so it's a shame that having his perspective somewhat killed it for me. It was better when we only saw him through Alizeh's eyes, in my opinion. Another frustrating thing is that while we do learn more about Cyrus, we still don't know why he entered into the bargain with the devil. 

I forgave the sequel for the lack of action, but All This Twisted Glory was lacking in action as well. It was mostly full of angst and internal dialogue. I love me some angst and yearning, but being three books into the series I needed more, I wanted to see Alizeh finally become a queen and rally her people. Still, I'm continuing to root for her. With her kindness and compassion, she reminds me of a Disney princess. 

I continue not to like Kamran, but his POV was the best as it featured Miss Huda, Deen, Omid, and Hazan. They brought the comic relief and much needed dialogue. I also confess to shipping Kamran and Miss Huda. Like the tension and quips between these two? It was giving hate to love. His reactions to her and the way she wound him up was so funny. I mean, when he finally gets over Alizeh and opens his eyes to what a catch Miss Huda is, I can see her helping him on his journey to become the man he has the potential to be.

Despite some issues, I'm still invested and looking forward to continuing with the series. 

Rating: 

No comments:

Post a Comment