Tuesday 14 March 2023

Review: The Curse of Saints by Kate Dramis

Has she been sent to save the realm or destroy it?

As Spymaster to the Queen, Aya's blood oath ensures she protects those she fights alongside - including Will, the Queen's Enforcer and Aya's bitter rival.

When rumors of dark magic rise in a nearby kingdom, both are sent to investigate.

But when Aya's power acts beyond her gods-given affinity, she risks being turned into a weapon in a war she doesn't know how to win.

And when her relationship with Will unexpectedly shifts, neither know the danger that will follow . . .

📌 Add to GoodReads
📌  Publication date: 11/05/2023
📌  Disclaimer: I received an e-arc for review from the publisher

I didn't get off to the best start with The Curse of Saints. The opening was cliche and I attempted to get past it quite a few times, to the point where I thought it might even be a DNF. However, I eventually came back to it and pushed through. 

The author has been promoting the book for its' enemies to lovers romance, so I wasn't expecting much in terms of the plot. It's ironic then that the plot is what held my interest, like the court politics and betrayals? So good!

It's mostly told from Aya's and Will's point of view, and if I'm being honest I was pretty neutral about them both. It's the occasional third POV we get, from the prince of another kingdom, that I found intriguing. The only complaint I have about his POV is that when describing his mum and sister he mentioned the word 'curves', which I found awkward...

I've seen people complain about books marketed as enemies to lovers not actually delivering. If you're one of those people then this is the book for you as it definitely reads like a true enemies to lovers romance. I mean, the knife to throat fans will eat this up. Unfortunately, I was indifferent to the romance. Which is a shame as I do love a good romance in my fantasy. One thing that annoyed me and made me roll my eyes was how Will kept saying love every time he said Aya's name. It was too much.

Romance aside, I'm curious to see where the story goes next. 

Rating:

No comments:

Post a Comment