Wednesday 13 August 2014

Review: The Perilous Sea by Sherry Thomas

GoodReads: After spending the summer away from each other, Titus and Iolanthe (still disguised as Archer Fairfax) are eager to return to Eton College to resume their training to fight the Bane. Although no longer bound to Titus by a blood oath, Iolanthe is more committed than ever to fulfilling her destiny—especially with the agents of Atlantis quickly closing in.

Soon after arriving at school, though, Titus makes a shocking discovery, one that makes him question everything he previously believed about their mission. Faced with this devastating realization, Iolanthe is forced to come to terms with her new role, while Titus must choose between following his mother's prophecies—and forging a divergent path to an unknowable future.

 - Add to GoodReads
Expected publication date: 16/09/14
  
"What can I say?" she said, her voice growing fainter. "This damsel loves rescuing princes in distress."

The Perilous Sea was an amazing sequel, and I'm not even surprised. To say that I loved The Burning Sky would be an understatement. Ever since I finished reading it I've been eagerly anticipating the release of the sequel, a sequel I just knew would deliver. Which, of course, it did. Oh yes, no middle book syndrome here, this is a solid sequel that is every bit as good as the first book.

The Perilous Sea alternates between Titus's and Iolanthe's POV in the present and seven weeks in the future. This created a sense of intrigue as I was constantly wondering how they got to that point in the future. Plus, it didn't take too long to get back into the story. I remember being only 20% into the book and thinking wow I'm even not that far in and already there's swoons and a shocking twist. The unpredictable twists, continued on one after another and oh my gosh I loved it. Just as I came to a conclusion about something I was proved wrong. Every chapter ended on such a note that I just had to continue on to find out what happens next. The phrase I'm sure us bookworms are accustomed to thinking "just one more chapter" definitely applies to this book. Furthermore, The Perilous Sea also provides us with answers to some burning questions. From learning the truth about Iolanthe's past to finding out more about Titus's mothers vision.

Both Titus and Iolanthe are likable characters with strengths and flaws. I loved that Titus wasn't afraid to admit when Iolanthe was better at something than he was. Further to this I liked the sense of equality between them, it wasn't just Titus saving/supporting Iolanthe, nope, she also did the saving/supporting. It just shows that they're both capable and strong characters. The romance was also wonderfully done, Thomas threw obstacles their way without bringing  in a dreaded love triangle. One of my favourite things about this romance is the banter. It makes me smile, and adore these two characters even more. If there ever were two people who could be called ship worthy it would be them. 

All the puzzle pieces start coming together, and the book ends on an exciting note. I honestly can't wait to read the final book in the trilogy! (Also: I re-read The Burning Sky before jumping into The Perilous Sea and it really helped me re-call things, so if you can I would definitely recommend re-reading it.)

Rating:

16 comments:

  1. I absolutely agree that this sequel was fantastic! I couldn't predict a single plot twist and the romance was off the charts, making me both tense and swoon from chapter to chapter. I can't wait for the final installment--I don't know how it can top this book but I'm certainly excited for it. Amazing review! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. So glad this lived up to your expectations!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yesss. Amazing review Renu :D I am so so happy you loved this book. <3 I did too. And I also re-read book one first, hih :D Which I'm also glad I did. Sigh. Titus and Iolanthe are just ADORABLE aren't they? I love them to pieces. <3 And yess. The romance is amazing. SO glad she was able to not have a love triangle, lol. Which means this is a favorite romance of mine as well. Sigh. I am just dying for book three. <3 As I need more romance between them; as there was too little in this book. Ack. Anyway. Beautiful review sweetie. <3 Thank you for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. This fantasy series sounds so awesome! I have yet to read THE BURNING SKY but I'm so happy to hear that the sequel did not disappoint, whatsoever. The quote you provided sure proves the equality between the characters! And it's fantastic that there are so many unpredictable plot twists, I bet it kept you on your toes! I can't wait to read these books, I own both so I'll have to get to them soon! Thanks for the lovely review, Renu :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I wasn't a huge fan of The Burning Sky, but I think part of that is because I maybe wasn't in the right mood to read that kind of book or I was in a reading funk or SOMETHING because this kind of book would usually be right up my alley! And I'm a very mood-influenced reader so it's likely. Reading your review for the sequel and seeing your enthusiasm for the series definitely makes me want to give it another go!! I'm always impressed when the sequel is strong because that doesn't always happen in series these days, unfortunately. Yup, perhaps I'll have to reread the first one so that I can get to this one!

    ReplyDelete
  6. ooh there is so much praise for this series and I must get to book one like ASAP. I am so glad that book 2 was just as brilliant.

    Lovely review, Renu! <33

    ReplyDelete
  7. I still haven't read book one even if it's sitting on my Kindle library, but hearing that the second book does deliver and doesn't suffer from middle book syndrome is fantastic!
    Also I love that quote! Thanks for the review, Renu!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I still haven't started this series so it's good to hear that the sequel isn't a letdown. The romance sounds cute and it's nice that you felt there was a sense of equality between Iolanthe and Titus.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have both of these books for review and I am glad that I put off reading this first one. So happy to see that five stars up there. I am anxious to get lost in this one and see how I like it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm terrified to read this one because I loved the first book so much, but I'm so glad to see it still got a five-star rating from you, Renu! I am so excited that we begin to find answers to our questions, too…finally! Great review :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I FINALLY read The Burning Sky and now I'm itching to get my hands on this! I've heard great things - although I am scared because I've read they go through quite a bit plus tons of twists and turns. Happy to see that the sequel didn't disappoint you. Great review, Renu!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I should probably get started on this series soon - and it's great to hear that the second book does not disappoint, contrary to what happens most of the time. So many positive reviews revolving this. Great review! :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I really need to go back to the first book. I had it but the shaky and rocky beginning really threw me off guard. I had to put it aside and haven't come back to it ever since but guuuh I want to feel the feels you had in the second book! Yup, a reread is in order, definitely.

    Faye at The Social Potato

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm counting down the days to this book I'm so excited! Thanks for the recommendation to do a Burning Sky reread. I'll have to make time for that. I've seen quite a few great reviews for this book so I'm sure it will be an amazing sequel =)

    ReplyDelete
  15. I haven't thought a lot about this book before, but after reading your review, I'm definitely going to have to add it to my list of books to be read! Also, that cover is gorgeous! Thank you so much for a fantastic review.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I loved this book too! Such an amazing sequel. The banter between Titus and Iolanthe is the best and I loved how the author kept their relationship fresh (and love triangle free) with the whole memory thing. And yes about the chapters. Every single one was a cliffhanger and I literally couldn't stop reading. One of my favorite series!! ~Pam

    ReplyDelete