Saturday 13 October 2012

Foretold by Jana Oliver

GoodReads Summary: Riley’s always known that Beck had a chequered history, but she’s not prepared for what it actually means to be in love with a guy with this many dark secrets. Now that he’s finally admitted to himself that he’s in love with her too, there’s no more hiding the truth about his past. And as it turns out, fending off a demon apocalypse is nothing compared to what’s to come...

- Add to GoodReads

The fourth and final book in The Demon Trappers series was a bittersweet read. On one hand I was happy with how the series ended, but on the other I was sad to leave the characters and world behind.
Foretold is split into two halves. The first half is focused on Beck's past, we finally get a look into his harsh upbringing and learn what exactly it is that's been holding him back. I've been a fan of Beck since book 1, because despite all the hardships he faced as a child he's managed to accomplish things in his life and become a good man. A man that loves Taylor Swift, has a pet rabbit, and always puts Riley before himself. I was thrilled to be a part of his journey, uncovering his layers and getting to know him better.
The action really starts to kick-off in the second half of the book which is focused on the brewing battle between Sartael and Lucifer.
Riley has always been a likeable protagonist, but at times her thoughts and actions have been incredibly frustrating. However, there was great development in her character in Forgiven and now in the final book she's become the type of character I always hoped she would be; smart, strong, and thoughtful.
I've been rooting for Beck and Riley since book 1, because the tension and chemistry between those two is insane. Their relationship has been rocky from the start so it was great to see them finally coming to terms with and accepting their feelings for each other.
After the events that took place in Forbidden I disliked like Ori, but by the end of Forgiven my feelings for him had unexpectedly changed. I really felt for him in Foretold, and after he's righteous actions towards the end I found myself rooting for him, hoping he would get a good ending. And he did. A bittersweet one, but satisfying nonetheless. Which just goes to show what a great writer the author really is, she has done a brilliant job of creating layered characters that have continued to grow throughout the series.
I have never felt so attached to a series before, Oliver has continued to impress book after book and I look forward to her future titles.

"I had a Chris Hemsworth poster too" she said, smiling in recognition. "He made a totally hot Norse God."
Beck mumbled in agreement.

Rating:

11 comments:

  1. Oh, I am so behind on this series! I've never made it past book one, and I really liked it. It's nice to know the series continues and ends well. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the theme of your blog (those cute little coffee cups and everything)! I'll be sure to check out this book as well:P If you have time could you check out my blog?
    Ruby - http://feedmebooksnow.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm not sure I can read your review yet, since I haven't even got to the first book of this series, but I'm so glad you enjoyed this one! Just another reminder that I need to catch up on my reading, huh? ;)

    P.S. LOVE the quote!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Although I have been curious about this series, I haven't read any of the books. Seeing how much you've enjoyed this book, I think I'll have to find time to start reading book one. It seems to me that Riley has grown quite a lot throughout the series. And Beck seems so awesome! Thanks for the review, Renu.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful review Renu, I'm so glad that you loved this series, I still have to pick the first book up, but your review has definitely encouraged me to pick it up asap! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I share similar thoughts on this one. I was completely happy with the way it ended but sad to say goodbye to Beck and Riley. :) Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have the 1st book but haven't read it yet. I'm glad to hear the whole series is good.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Chris Hemsworth!! Wait, that's not what I meant to write here. I mean, fabulous review, Renu! ♥ I heard that this is a great series, and I'm delighted that the ending is amazing too! Riley seems like a great heroine, one I'd definitely root for! And awww... Beck loves Taylor Swift? He's already my soulmate! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a glorious review. I too am sad to leave Riley and Den behind. They remain my most fave characters to date. I tried very hard for each of the characters (even if they were secondary) to have some growth over the series. I love when that happens in other authors' works.


    @Hilda - Any chance to say "Chris Hemsworth" is righteous. ;-) I do it all the time.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Extraordinary review, Renu! The hype surrounding this series has been IN-SANE, and I'm certainly convinced that I must give this a go sometime. :) I'm so delighted that you loved it!

    Hilda, CHRIS HEMSWORTH... *drools*

    ReplyDelete
  11. I like the series too! But I haven't yet read Foretold. I like the whole Demon Trapper idea, but with all the plot lines that particularly element kind of went into the background, which totally made the book lost its uniqueness. Plus I found that almost all the things Riley did ended up going boom in her face, which was actually frustrating, not at Riley, but at the author herself. Why did you have to do that? What did she ever did to you? were the questions that I really wanted to ask Jane Oliver. None the less, the series was great and I am sad that it was ending, but I guess it would be a good ending :)

    ReplyDelete