Monday 18 July 2011

The Restorer by Amanda Stevens

GoodReads Summary:  My name is Amelia Gray. I'm a cemetery restorer who sees ghosts. In order to protect myself from the parasitic nature of the dead, I've always held fast to the rules passed down from my father. But now a haunted police detective has entered my world and everything is changing, including the rules that have always kept me safe.

It started with the discovery of a young woman's brutalized body in an old Charleston graveyard I've been hired to restore. The clues to the killer—and to his other victims—lie in the headstone symbolism that only I can interpret. Devlin needs my help, but his ghosts shadow his every move, feeding off his warmth, sustaining their presence with his energy. To warn him would be to invite them into my life. I've vowed to keep my distance, but the pull of his magnetism grows ever stronger even as the symbols lead me closer to the killer and to the gossamer veil that separates this world from the next.

- Add to GoodReads
The Restorer is a dark and thrilling read that hooked me in from page one.
Amanda Stevens has a way with words. Her writing style is beautiful and captivating, she does a brilliant job of creating a spooky and eerie atmosphere - "I shudder. Dozens of them. Pale and grasping. I knew that if they managed to grab me, they would pull me down into some dark place far more terrifying than what awaited me at either end of the tunnel. So I would start walking gain. A few steps toward the light. Turn. A few steps toward the darkness." Creepy, right?
I love how Stevens manages to keep readers in the dark throughout the course of the novel. Sometimes in a book it’s easy to guess what's going to happen next, but not in The Restorer. There were so many unexpected moments, I found myself constantly shocked at the revelations as they came to light and I was completely taken by surprise when the murder was revealed. The authors vivid and rich descriptions are so cinematic, it's sort of like watching a really intense and additive crime show on TV.
Amelia is a very simple, no fuss kind of heroine. What I liked about her was that she had fears and weaknesses, but rather than run away from them she faced them head on. 
Devlin is an interesting and layered character. I feel so sorry for him, losing his wife and daughter has taken a real toll on him. It's caused him to have trust issues and because of this he doesn't let people get close to him. He's a mysterious and broody character that we don't learn much about, but I am hoping he will open up to Amelia over the course of future books. There was definitely a lot of chemistry between the pair and I can't wait to see where it goes.
P.S. I don't recommend reading this at night! *shivers*

"There was something so primal and hungry about the way he stared down at her..not time, not distance, not even death could tear them apart."

Rating:

    No comments:

    Post a Comment