Tuesday 27 June 2023

Review: The Scarlet Veil by Shelby Mahurin

Six months have passed since Célie took her sacred vows and joined the ranks of the Chasseurs as their first huntswoman. With her fiancé, Jean Luc, as captain, she is determined to find her foothold in her new role and help protect Belterra. But whispers from her past still haunt her, and a new evil is rising—one that Célie herself must vanquish, unless she falls prey to the darkness.
📌 Add to GoodReads
📌 Disclaimer: I received an e-arc for review from the publisher 
📌 Publication date: 26/09/2023  

Based in the same world as the Serpent & Dove trilogy, The Scarlet Veil, is a fun read that is easy to get through. I have no interest in reading the Serpent & Dove trilogy, but what drew me to this book is the fact that it has vampires in it. If you haven't read the original trilogy I personally don't think it takes away from the story, but it depends on you as a reader. There are things referenced that I'm sure some readers will want full details on, but for me, it isn't necessary. 

Some people may find the main character, Célie, frustrating, which is understandable. However, what I find most compelling about her is that she's just an ordinary girl who has faced trauma and come out the other side of it determined to make a difference. She's scared and naive, and yes she makes rash decisions, but ultimately she only wants to help. In my opinion, she's strong, just not in a sword wielding way.  

I like her friend group, who are all anything but ordinary, and I'm sure if you've read the Serpent & Dove trilogy you'll appreciate their appearance. 

Plot wise, as to be expected with vampires there is violence, romance (that I hope we get more of in the sequel), ghosts and a mischievous talking cat. 

Be warned now that it ends on quite the cliffhanger! I'm looking forward to reading the conclusion and am glad it's not going to be dragged out into a trilogy. 

Rating: 

No comments:

Post a Comment