Sunday 9 January 2022

Review: This Woven Kingdom by Tahera Mafi

To all the world, Alizeh is a disposable servant, not the long-lost heir to an ancient Jinn kingdom forced to hide in plain sight.

The crown prince, Kamran, has heard the prophecies foretelling the death of his king. But he could never have imagined that the servant girl with the strange eyes, the girl he can’t put out of his mind, would one day soon uproot his kingdom—and the world.

📌 Add to GoodReads
📌 
Publication date: 01/02/2022
📌 Disclaimer: I received an e-arc from the publisher for review 

I won't lie, the main reason I was excited when I heard Tahera Mafi was writing a YA fantasy trilogy is because the potential romance. I mean, unpopular opinion, but I loved the romance between Adam and Juliette in her debut, Shatter Me. I know that it takes a turn in the rest of the series, but let's not talk about that.  

I'm glad I didn't read the synopsis before diving in, because it gives away a spoiler in regards to Alizeh's identity. You don't learn about it until you're further into the book and it was nice being surprised. Inspired by Persian mythology, This Woven Kingdom, is a story about Jinn. In this world Jinn are the inferior class and humans are the higher class. I enjoyed the introduction into the world and appreciated that there was no info-dumping. If you've read Mafi's Shatter Me series you know she has a flowery writing style. which people seem to either like or dislike. Admittedly, it didn't work for me at first, but I ended up warming up to it. 

This Woven Kingdom is told from two point of views, Alizeh's and Kamran's. I loved Alizeh's hope and kindness despite her circumstances. I was also pleased that she wasn't obsessed with the love interest, Kamran. It was the opposite, actually. While I didn't completely dislike the prince, his feeling towards Alizeh were all consuming. He had that "she's so cool and not like others girls" mindset, which I'm not a fan of.

However, I still have hope in regards to the romance. We're introduced to a mysterious character towards the end of the book, and I have a feeling there is going to be a love triangle in the sequel. I'm looking forward to learning more about him. 

Despite my initial interest being in the romance, it was ultimately the plot and the main female character that got me. Also, the ending was amazing, one of the best cliffhangers I've read in a while. I think fans of Sabaa Tahir's An Ember in the Ashes series will enjoy This Woven Kingdom. 

Rating:

No comments:

Post a Comment