Monday 10 May 2021

Review: Within These Wicked Walls by Lauren Blackwood

Andromeda is a debtera—an exorcist hired to cleanse households of the Evil Eye. When a handsome young heir named Magnus Rochester reaches out to hire her, Andromeda quickly realizes this is a job like no other, with horrifying manifestations at every turn, and that Magnus is hiding far more than she has been trained
for. Death is the most likely outcome if she stays, but leaving Magnus to live out his curse alone isn’t an option. Evil may roam the castle’s halls, but so does a burning desire.

📌 Publication date: 09/11/2021
📌 Add to GoodReads

I love Charlotte Bronte's, Jane Eyre, so, my interest was peeked when I read that Within These Wicked Walls was an Ethiopian inspired re-telling. Having now read it I would say it's a loose re-telling as Lauren Blackwood has made it her own. The story is about Andromeda, who is a debtera, someone whose job it is to expel the Evil Eye. She's hired to do such from an isolated house in the middle of the desert. 

Some books are just easy to fly through and Within these Wicked Walls is one of them. I was having so much fun reading it that I didn't realise what percentage of the way through I was, which is something I usually notice. The haunting descriptions create a gothic vibe, making this the perfect autumn/winter read. 

Andromeda is a feisty main character who isn't afraid to speak her mind. The romance between her and Magnus is very wholesome and cute, I enjoyed their banter. On the other hand, the father/daughter type relationship between is Andromeda and Jember is very complicated. Although it's not the healthiest relationship there were moments that filled me with awe.

You know when you finish a book feeling thoroughly satisfied? That's how I felt with Within These Wicked Walls. 

Rating:

No comments:

Post a Comment