Tuesday 31 January 2012

Under the Never Sky by Veronica Rossi

GoodReads Summary: WORLDS KEPT THEM APART.

DESTINY BROUGHT THEM TOGETHER.

Aria has lived her whole life in the protected dome of Reverie. Her entire world confined to its spaces, she's never thought to dream of what lies beyond its doors. So when her mother goes missing, Aria knows her chances of surviving in the outer wasteland long enough to find her are slim.

Then Aria meets an outsider named Perry. He's searching for someone too. He's also wild - a savage - but might be her best hope at staying alive.

If they can survive, they are each other's best hope for finding answers.

- Add to GoodReads

Under the Never Sky is an electrifying debut that left me wanting more!
Veronica Rossi has done a fantastic job with the world building. The society in which Aria and Perry live in has been split in two. First, there are the "Dwellers" - people who live inside the Pod. I loved the idea of the Smarteye and its power to transport a person to different Realms in the Pod. It was weird to think that everything the wearer did was just a stimulation and supposedly "Better Than Real". Every aspect of the world from the Pods, Reverie, and Bliss, to the Aether sky was cleverly crafted and intriguing.
Then there are the "Outsiders" - people who live outside the Pod in a civilisation that has almost reverted back to primal times. The world as we know it has become this bleak and frightening place where tribes fight to control areas of land, and leaving your tribe means that you could face almost certain death.
I have to admit that I'm still a little confused by some of the ideas that Rossi presented as there wasn't much of an explanation. However, I'm assuming that this will be cleared up in the sequel.
I was thoroughly impressed with the character development. For Aria being thrown out into the 'Outside' or as she calls it ‘The Death Shop’ is  disorientating as she has lead a safe and sheltered life. Unaccustomed to having done anything for real it's hard for her to adjust, but eventually she does.  She becomes this strong, determined and admirable heroine that you just can't help but love.
Perry a 'Outsider' with a rough and tough exterior also grows throughout the course of the book. Initially I didn't like him, but as the story develops so does his character.
UtNS is told from both Aria's and Perry's POV. At first they’re like enemies- coming from two different societies means having different values and ways of life- but they soon realise that they have a common goal and with that their prejudice against each another fades and a beautiful romance slowly blossoms.
    He watched as she pressed the berry to her lower lip. He kept looking at her mouth after she’d done it. He knew he should look away, but he couldn’t. “Right. Good. If there’s no stinging, you’d put it to your tongue.”


    Perry shot to his feet before he finished the words, nearly tripping over himself. He ran a hand over his head, feeling skitty, like he needed to laugh or run or do something. He picked up a stone and tossed it into the creek, trying to get the image of her tasting the berry out of his mind.

    Rating:

    10 comments:

    1. Renu recommends, only makes me want it more! It does sound like a really great read. :)

      ReplyDelete
    2. Yay, Renu! So glad you liked it! This is one of my favorite dystopians and I completely agree with you that it's an engrossing book! I can't wait to get hold of the second book now. Awesome review. :)

      ReplyDelete
    3. I enjoyed this book too and I'm definitely looking forward to the sequel. Pity we have to wait so long for it. hehe. Great review! Glad you liked it!

      ReplyDelete
    4. I'm so glad you loved UtNS!! I was blown away! I loved the slow-building development of Perry and Aria's relationship. I adored Roar, too! In fact, I used that exact same quote in my review! I can't wait for book two.
      Great review!

      ReplyDelete
    5. I just finished reading this one and I liked it! I like the way Aria and Perry's relationship was slow and sweet, and I loved Roar too, he was awesome. Great review! :)

      ReplyDelete
    6. SQUEE!! Love your review, Renu!! This book was amazing, I am so glad you loved it as much as I did. The incredible worldbuilding and characters were such standouts and I totally agree, Veronica crafted the relationship brilliantly.

      And ROOOOOAAAARRRR! I LOVE THAT GUY <3

      ReplyDelete
    7. Sounds like an interesting book. I enjoy books that are a bit futuristic like that. Definitely on my to read list!

      ReplyDelete
    8. I so need to get a copy of this book !! I love dystopian novels and this one sounds so amazing !!
      Thanks for the review Renu ;)

      ReplyDelete
    9. My copy is on its way I can't wait to read everyone seens to love it. Love your review :)

      ReplyDelete
    10. You blog is the same shade as my recent Lolita review! I've had this book now to me to read list. I have to scroll the rest of your posts. Thanks for sharing and feel free to drop by me too, when you have time.

      ReplyDelete