Friday, 21 August 2015

Mini review: Mind Games by Teri Terry

GoodReads: Luna is a no-hoper with a secret: in a world of illusion, she can see what is real. But can she see the truth before it is too late?

Luna has always been able to exist in virtual and real worlds at the same time, a secret she is warned to keep. She hides her ability by being a Refuser: excluded by choice from the virtual spheres others inhabit. But when she is singled out for testing, she can’t hide any longer.

The safest thing to do would be to fail, to go back to a dead-end life, no future. But Luna is starting to hope for something better, and hope is a dangerous thing...

- Add to GoodReads
Having enjoyed Teri Terry's Slated trilogy I was looking forward to reading Mind Games. However, I'm sorry to say that I was sourly disappointed.

In my opinion world building is important in dystopian books. I kind of felt a bit disorientated when reading Mind Games, because although there was the occasional explanation I didn't feel like there was enough. I would have liked to know how the world got to where it was, etc.

Having said that, however, I can sometimes let poor world building slide if the plot intrigues me (e.g. Article 5 by Kristen Simmons and The Queen of the Tearling by Erika Johansen). This wasn't the case for Mind Games, though. There were just too many plot holes for me to interested in what was going on. Another reason I couldn't really get into the story is  because I couldn't connect with the main or even secondary characters for that matter. They were a bit dull to be honest, and the romance didn't work for me at all. It was kind of insta-lovey, with the mc falling for the love interest within days of meeting him.

I wasn't a big fan of the ending, either. I don't know, maybe it was my own fault for picking up a book I probably wouldn't have read had I not enjoyed the authors previous books.

Rating:

4 comments:

  1. I completely agree! I was looking forward to this book, but it was a disappointment. Poor world-building with no explanations for half of it, too many plot holes and an ending that didn't really make sense. Such a shame! Thanks for the review.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aww...I'm so sorry to hear this was so mediocre for you Renu! :( I read Teri Terry's Slated and felt a bit mediocre about it, so I'm not sure how I'd feel about this one. And the ending sounds extremely disappointing. What a shame. Thanks for sharing your thoughts though and, as always, fabulous review! ♥

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sorry to see this didn't work for you but thanks for taking one for the team, Renu! I don't think this is something I'd enjoy either so I'll be steering clear of it now. Fantastic review, dear, and I hope your next read is far more satisfactory!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Aw, noo :( I'm so sorry that you were disappointed with this one Renu :\ That is never any fun. Sigh. But you are amazing for finishing it, when it was so bad, hih :) I haven't wanted to read this one, and now I won't ;p Thank you for sharing. <3

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...