Wednesday, 16 July 2014

The Jewel by Amy Ewing

GoodReads: The Jewel means wealth. The Jewel means beauty. The Jewel means royalty. But for girls like Violet, the Jewel means servitude. Not just any kind of servitude. Violet, born and raised in the Marsh, has been trained as a surrogate for the royalty—because in the Jewel the only thing more important than opulence is offspring.

Purchased at the surrogacy auction by the Duchess of the Lake and greeted with a slap to the face, Violet (now known only as #197) quickly learns of the brutal truths that lie beneath the Jewel’s glittering facade: the cruelty, backstabbing, and hidden violence that have become the royal way of life.

Violet must accept the ugly realities of her existence... and try to stay alive. But then a forbidden romance erupts between Violet and a handsome gentleman hired as a companion to the Duchess’s petulant niece. Though his presence makes life in the Jewel a bit brighter, the consequences of their illicit relationship will cost them both more than they bargained for.  

- Add to GoodReads

Expected publication date: 02/09/14

The Jewel, with its intriguing premise had the potential to be amazing, but sadly it failed in execution.

My main issue with The Jewel was the romance. There was a horrible case of insta-love between Violet and Ash, the love interest. Violet is immediately attracted to him, after having one conversation (in which she discovers their mutual love for music) she comes to the conclusion that he "gets her", and not long after they are kissing and saying the L word. In the pages that follow all Violet can think about (when she should be thinking about more important thing) is Ash, she is literally consumed by the guy. There is no build up or tension, they hardly no each other yet they're confessing their loyalty and love to one another. Then there's the jealousy that overcomes her when Ash interacts or even looks at another girl, and the constant thoughts about how attractive he is and whether he is looking at her. This is what I mean when I say it was an all-consuming romance:

Ash's face appears in my mind for the hundredth time in the last few hours.

I've never thought much about kissing, but the idea of Ash's lips against mine-I giggle.

I wonder if Ash will think I look pretty.

It's only been  a couple of hours since I saw him, but he's somehow even more handsome than I remember. My whole body feels like it's blushing. 

Seriously, it goes on in this vain pages and pages after their first meeting.

Up until the point where she meets Ash, Violet herself wasn't a terrible mc, but having said that she wasn't one I particularly connected with either. She was a bit bland, much like the writing, in my opinion. There was a lot of repetition and clich├ęs.

Overall, I was rather disappointed. 

Rating:

17 comments:

  1. I'm sorry you didn't enjoy this that much! The premise seems so good, it's a pity there's insta-love in it as that's one of my bookish pet peeves!

    Great review :)

    Kyra @ Blog of a Bookaholic

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bleck! I am so glad I didn't download this and I came so close to doing it too. I am so sick of insta love these days, it is way over used.

    Wonderful honest review!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Insta-love? No, no, no! Ugh. I was looking forward to reading this one and I think I'm going to try to push it back as much as possible. :(
    Thanks for the honesty, Renu.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This makes me SO sad. I have this one for review, and I can already see I'll have problems with it. I don't think insta-love in unrealistic in reality - or even those sort of consuming thoughts - but, for me, it just doesn't work on paper. I need time to get invested in romances, and I can't be convinced about something if it happens all at once. :( Sorry you were disappointed, Renu, but thanks for the helpful review!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow I just heard about this book today and thought it sounded interesting, but I don't think this is my kind of book after reading your review! The insta-love sounds awful, and it all sounds so superficial. Too bad, but I enjoyed reading your review!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ugh, ew. I'm so over insta-love and silly romances, so I'm definitely skipping this one. Sorry you had to read this, Renu, but I hope your next novel is a LOT better! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm sorry that you weren't able to enjoy this book Renu, I think I too would immediately be put off by the insta love too, and I do like having some sort of connection with my characters, it doesn't sound like this could happen with this book. Thank you for your honest review, I hope your next book is a lot more enjoyable! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. NOOO. Sad face :( I don't like that quote. Or what you say about the romance. I don't think I will like this book at all :\ But damn it. I have it via Edelweiss. So I might read it. But then.. I don't always read my copies from there :p So I might skip it, hih :D Thank you so much for sharing sweetie and being honest. <3 I'm sorry you didn't like this book :\

    ReplyDelete
  9. oh my.... NO FOR INSTA-LOVE! and lol at L word.. I always say that too xD
    But seriously.. I kind of already hate this book. Insta love is SO unrealistic I just can't read any books like that.. thanks for the honest review!
    - Farah @ MajiBookshelf

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm sorry you didn't like this one... the premise is definitely interetsing but too bad the romance sucks... insta-love is the worst route for romance (especially after just one freaking conversation about taste for music -__-)... well at least now I'm pretty sure I won't be touching this book. thanks for the honest review~~

    czai @ the Blacksheep Project

    ReplyDelete
  11. I have read this one recently and while I was bothered with that insta-love the whole idea of the story and the setting kept me captivated. I couldn't but turn pages just to see what happens next. I'm so sorry that this one was a disappointment for you. Great review, Renu :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I was never really interested in this one and that little excerpt you've provided along with the mention of insta-love has convinced me to stay far away. Hope your next read is better, Renu.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Ugh I need that build up and tension! Otherwise it just seems rather pointless. I rolled my eyes at the first sentence of that quote. To bad this book didn't turn out well cause that cover is so pretty :/

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm really sad to hear this!! I've read a lot of negative reviews for the book, which really sucks because it sounded pretty good. Insta love - blegh. And I heard that the boy is kinda like a prostitute, which I know makes sense for the society or w/e, but still it makes me uncomfortable. :/

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'm afraid to read this one. That cover is so pretty but most of the reviews I've read have not been very positive...
    Thanks so much for stopping by! Jen @ YA Romantics

    ReplyDelete
  16. Ehhh, okay I think I will officially take this one off my tbr now. I was sort of interested in it based off the blurb and the beautiful cover, but I really need books to revolve around a plot that isn't centred on romance. ESPECIALLY not insta-love romance. And I know I would not be into pages of the thoughts of a vain girl.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I'm sorry this book didn't live up to your expectations, Renu! I'm glad I decided not to add this to my TBR as I haven't heard anything great about it - thank you for the wonderful and honest review.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...