Friday, 16 May 2014

Forbidden by Kimberely Griffiths Little

GoodReads Summary: In the unforgiving Mesopotamian desert where Jayden’s tribe lives, betrothal celebrations abound, and tonight it is Jayden’s turn to be honored. But while this union with Horeb, the son of her tribe’s leader, will bring a life of riches and restore her family’s position within the tribe, it will come at the price of Jayden’s heart.

Then a shadowy boy from the Southern Lands appears. Handsome and mysterious, Kadesh fills Jayden’s heart with a passion she never knew possible. But with Horeb’s increasingly violent threats haunting Jayden’s every move, she knows she must find a way to escape—or die trying.

With a forbidden romance blossoming in her heart and her family’s survival on the line, Jayden must embark on a deadly journey to save the ones she loves—and find a true love for herself.

- Add to GoodReads
Expected publication date: 04/11/14

I loved the setting of this book, it was lush and sensual. Not to mention unique, never before have I read a YA book set in the desert with belly dancing, womanly rituals, and tribes. What's more is that the cover quite accurately depicts the tone of the story. Setting aside, the plot was also different in that it was more focused on the main character and her personal growth and romance with Kadesh than it was with the seeming tyranny spreading across the lands. I've come to expect tyrannical governments and rebellions from these type of books, and while I do love them it was a nice change of pace to have it in the back drop of the story rather than the four-front. Although, admittedly, I'm hoping that it will be explored more in the sequel.

The romance between Jayden and Kadesh developed rather quickly, but I wouldn't quite call it insta-love. It was actually sweet, and the number of times Kadesh stumbled upon Jayden belly dancing...lets just say there was heat without any physical contact.

If you're wondering if there's a love triangle in this book, there's not. Although Jayden is betrothed to Horeb she despises him. And for good reason, too. He's the kind of character you'll love to hate! Unfeeling, power hungry, and destructive...

With the way things ended I'm curious to see what goes down in the sequel.

Rating:

13 comments:

  1. Thanks for your review, Renu! I'm really looking forward to this one. I was hoping it was a standalone, but if I love the world enough I guess I can handle waiting in between books. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Woah, it does sound like a very sensual type of YA book, which is interesting! I love the cover as well. Lovely review!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I almost requested this one and didn't. So glad you enjoyed it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm not sure this is entirely for me, though it sounds really interesting. I'll have to think about this. Thanks for sharing, Renu!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm not sure if I'll read this one, Renu, but it sounds pretty unique in terms of the setting. There really aren't too many YA novels set in the desert.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Whoa, the blurb sounds intriguing, and the setting sounds deeply exotic. I love stories set in the desert, or in Persia. I'm not sure what to feel of the plot being set aside, but at least it wasn't neglected for the love but more for the character development. That's something. I'm definitely interested now, thanks for the review and putting this under my radar!

    Faye at The Social Potato Reviews

    ReplyDelete
  7. Honestly, I'm not a big fan of historical fiction. But I am surprised because the plot sounds so unique. I may try it sometime in the future. :D

    Jules @ Jules Bookshelf

    ReplyDelete
  8. Aw :D Great review sweetie. <3 I'm glad you liked this book, even though you didn't love it. And yess. Sounds like a sweet romance :D I'm glad you liked it. I'm hoping to read this soonish :) Though the ending worries me.. sigh. But I'm too excited, lol. Thank you for sharing. <3

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow, yeah I've never read a book with a setting like this one! I can definitely appreciate character growth, but I would hope the author explores the plot more in the sequel as well. Thanks for putting this one on my radar!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'll admit to solely grabbing a copy because of the cover so I didn't pay much attention to the summary but I am so glad to see you liked this one Renu! :D

    It sounds so unique and so extremely fun! :)

    Great Review, Renu!! :)

    Rashika @ The Social Potato

    ReplyDelete
  11. Why do I always mix this one with Graceling series? The covers have the same vibe I guess. Anyhow this sounds really good and the setting sounds like something I need to see. Great review, Renu :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hot scenes of belly dancing? Yes, please! I was thinking if I'd get this and your review helped me make my decision. Thanks, Renu!

    ReplyDelete
  13. We have similar thoughts on this! The book was so textural. I think that was my favorite part. Feeling like I was breathing in the desert heat, feeling the sand under my feet, the colorful silks and dancing women. The author did such a good job making the setting come alive. Though I do wish it had a bit more real historical context. The Queen of Sheba and Hammurabi were NOT alive at the same time. The romance was pretty sweet. This also ends in a way that anticipates a second book, so I'm assuming we'll get more of this story and world. Great review!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...