Monday, 23 September 2013

These Broken Stars by Amie Kaufman and Meagan Spooner

It's a night like any other on board the Icarus. Then, catastrophe strikes: the massive luxury spaceliner is yanked out of hyperspace and plummets into the nearest planet. Lilac LaRoux and Tarver Merendsen survive. And they seem to be alone.

Lilac is the daughter of the richest man in the universe. Tarver comes from nothing, a young war hero who learned long ago that girls like Lilac are more trouble than they’re worth. But with only each other to rely on, Lilac and Tarver must work together, making a tortuous journey across the eerie, deserted terrain to seek help.

Then, against all odds, Lilac and Tarver find a strange blessing in the tragedy that has thrown them into each other’s arms. Without the hope of a future together in their own world, they begin to wonder—would they be better off staying here forever?

Everything changes when they uncover the truth behind the chilling whispers that haunt their every step. Lilac and Tarver may find a way off this planet. But they won’t be the same people who landed on it.

- Add to GoodReads
Expected publication date: 10/12/13 

Despite not having much luck with YA books set in space I was really excited about These Broken Stars. With the glowing reviews, gorgeous cover, and intriguing premise how could I not be?

Ultimately what let me down was the characters and romance.  Lilac and Tarver felt like card board cut outs, and the romance between them was the love/hate kind. If done well this kind of romance can work (e.g. Forsaken by Jana Oliver and Every Boy's Got One by Meg Cabot), but unfortunately it just wasn't the case here. I wouldn't call it insta-love, but upon meeting each other there is an immediate attraction between them. However, to keep Tarver at a distance and to cover her attraction towards him Lilac acts like a snob, and he in turn pretends to hate her back, because he's not going to admit to being attracted to a spoiled rich girl. Their contest internal lust for each other paired with their outward hate left me feeling annoyed and uninterested in their romance.

I think plenty of people will enjoy TBS, but because I didn't feel invested in the romance or connected to the characters I'm not one of them.

Rating:

13 comments:

  1. Oh, no, what a letdown! I really expect a lot from this one too, based on the few reviews I've read (i learned not to rely on covers). But characters that are flat are sure to diappoint me and make me regret wasting my time. I don't know what to do now. I'll wait to read even more reviews.
    Thank you for sharing your opinion.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Romances are hit and miss it seems. I can overlook the faltering romance for solid world building. I am happy to hear that at least that aspect of the book excelled. I have this for review and I am anxious to see how I fare with it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sorry this didn't work for you! I'm sure I'd get annoyed with the romance as well. It sounds quite frustrating. I don't read many books that take place in space to be honest, because they tend to freak me out. haha

    -lauren

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nooo! I've heard nothing but great things about this, but now I wonder if I'll feel the same way after the hype. Maybe if I readjust my expectations, I'll enjoy this better? I hope so! Thanks for the honest review, though, Renu!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Aww that's a shame it didn't work for you! I admit I'm really looking forward to this one so I'm hoping I connect with it! Thanks for the honest review!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I know! There are so many books I wanted to love since I felt no love or understanding for the characters I just don't like the book even if it has a great story. Wonderful review!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Aw, I'm sorry that the romance sucked for you. I'm sorry you didn't enjoy this book much. I have a print ARC of this, so I need to read it soon (A) but I did try to read it a few months ago, only got to the page when he sees her for the first time.. did not like the way it was written :\ Sigh. I will try again, though. I hope I might like it, but probably not :p since I hate what you mentioned about the romance. Sigh. Anyway. Awesome review :D Thank you for being honest. <3

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm really sorry that you weren't able to enjoy this book Renu! I've had such high hopes for it too, but a lack of connection with characters and not being invested with the romance would frustrate me too. Thank you for the honest review, I hope your next book is a lot more enjoyable!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This one is next on my to-read list and while I love the cover and the whole idea I'm afraid I'll get disappointed too. I mean characters don't sound enjoyable nor does the romance. Sorry that this one disappointed you. Great review :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ohhh no, what a shame! :( The romance doesn't sound good, how disappointing.

    Mel@thedailyprophecy.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Aw, it's a shame you were invested in the romance. I just finished this one and quite liked it so it's nice to read a different perspective. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Omg, lol. This relationship is already giving me a headache. Luckily, I wasn't planning on reading it, although, I have noticed some very great reviews surfacing lately. I think this push 'n pull relationship is very hard to pull off and I'm sorry this didn't work for you. Lovely review nevertheless, Renu! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Ohhhh nooo. So sorry you didn't enjoy These Broken Stars as much as I did. I adored it and it's one of my three favourite books this year. The romance was actually my favourite part about the book, because it didn't just take a look or two for Tarver and Lilac to jump each other. They went through a lot together and their isolation on the new planet created such a strong bond and true feelings.
    And there are so many surprising moments. Maybe you can enjoy the companion novel to These Broken Stars?:)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...