Thursday, 30 May 2013

Fangirl by Rainbow Rowell

Cath is a Simon Snow fan.
Okay, the whole world is a Simon Snow fan...

But for Cath, being a fan is her life — and she’s really good at it. She and her twin sister, Wren, ensconced themselves in the Simon Snow series when they were just kids; it’s what got them through their mother leaving.

Reading. Rereading. Hanging out in Simon Snow forums, writing Simon Snow fan fiction, dressing up like the characters for every movie premiere. Cath’s sister has mostly grown away from fandom, but Cath can’t let go. She doesn’t want to.

Now that they’re going to college, Wren has told Cath she doesn’t want to be roommates. Cath is on her own, completely outside of her comfort zone. She’s got a surly roommate with a charming, always-around boyfriend, a fiction-writing professor who thinks fan fiction is the end of the civilized world, a handsome classmate who only wants to talk about words . . . And she can’t stop worrying about her dad, who’s loving and fragile and has never really been alone.

For Cath, the question is: Can she do this? Can she make it without Wren holding her hand? Is she ready to start living her own life? Writing her own stories?

Or will she just go on living inside somebody else’s fiction?

- Add to GoodReads
Expected publication date: 10/09/13

I was immediately sold when I saw the title of and cover of this book. Being a bit of a fangirl myself I thought that I would be able to relate to the the mc, Cath. I was also really excited, because Rowell's books have been receiving a lot of praise lately and I've been wanting to pick one up.

Cath is a Harry Potter Simon Snow fan. Fangirl opens with a Wikipedia page enlisting the details about the 7 (soon to be 8) book fantasy series. I was pretty much giddy with excitement after reading the first page, but unfortunately, I didn't end up enjoying Fangirl.

I liked the fangirl-ing aspect of this book, because I was able to relate to it. Waiting in line for the final book in the Harry Potter Simon Snow series, trying to avoid spoilers online, re-reading the books, etc. So, what was the problem you ask. Well, my main issue was that I could not connect with Cath. When I read a book it's important that I like that mc, because no matter how good the plot is I will not be able to fully enjoy it if I don't. I understand moving out and going to college can be a nerve wrecking process. I do. Cath is a shy and introverted individual (which again, I can relate to), but it really frustrated me when she spent most her time holed up in her room sulking and whining. She made no effort at all. She didn't bother familiarising herself with the campus, and she ate protein bars in her room because she wanted to avoid the cafeteria. I mean, really?

On the other hand Cath's roommate, Reagan was an absolute delight. I loved her spunky attitude and wit. She wasn't afraid to hold back, she told Cath straight up what was on her mind. But most of all I liked how she put up with Cath's quirks, and slowly brought her out of her shell. Levi was also a likable character. He was a charming and laid back kind of guy, not your typical love interest.

I think plenty of people will enjoy Fangirl, especially fans of Rowell's previous books. It just wasn't the book for me.

Rating:

13 comments:

  1. I had high hoped for this one since I'm very similar to Cath but it's too bad that you weren't able to connect with her. Honestly, I won't go to a cafeteria alone either (too shy), but if there is no other option, then a quick in and out trip is feasible. I think I might like it more than you did. Thanks for the lovely review, Renu!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, it's such a shame when you can't connect to the MC. No matter how good the story is or the writing-style, it's hard to enjoy it.. The concept sounds great and I might give it a shot, but not anytime soon. Great review Renu :D

     Mel@thedailyprophecy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I haven't read any of Rowell's previous works and have heard a lot of mixed things about them, actually. From what you've said of this, though, I have a feeling I won't enjoy it too much. It just doesn't seem to be the book for me either. Great review, Renu! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. oh no, you are the second person to say that Cath was a character they couldn't connect with. I love the whole Fan Girl thing because, like you, I am a BIG Harry Potter fan so I can't wait for that part of the novel!

    - Juhina @ Maji Bookshelf

    ReplyDelete
  5. I haven't heard of this book before but I believe I'll skip it either way. I'd mind everything that you did in this book. It really doesn't sound like my type of the book. Great review :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's a shame that you didn't connect with the main character. This sounded like the sort of book for me given that I did all of the things that Cath did, but after reading your review I'm not so sure! Fab review anyhow :))

    Laura @ What's Hit?

    ReplyDelete
  7. I find it hard to completely enjoy a book if I don't connect with the main character too. Sorry you didn't enjoy this one as much as you hoped. Great review Renu :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great review sweetie :) I'm sorry you didn't fully love the book. But glad you kind of liked it. Thank you for being honest. <3 I do think the book sounds amazing :D And I'm hoping I'll be able to like Cath. But yeah. I do understand why she annoyed you, hih :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. It's a bummer that you could not relate to the MC, but I'm still going to try and keep my hopes high for this as it looks too cute to be true.

    Lovely review, anyways Renu! <33

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks for the honest and thorough review! I love Rowell to bits and cannot wait to read Fangirl! The premise sounds pretty amazing as well! Too bad that it was difficult to connect with the protagonist. :(

    ReplyDelete
  11. It's good to get more of a balanced review for this one. I honestly haven't been too interested in it, but that might have something to do with the fact that I haven't read Eleanor and Park yet (which everyone seem to love). I'll probably put this one off for a while longer now. Thanks for the helpful review, Renu!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Ah, fangirling. Something every girl faces. I really like the premise for this book because it's so original and relatable, though it's sad to see that you didn't enjoy it much. Cath grates on my nerves. Don't think I'd like her much either. Whiny MCs are NEVER the way to go. I don't know if I'll give this a go (because I haven't read Eleanor & Park like Sam, so I haven't experienced any of Rainbow's books), but lovely review all the same!

    ReplyDelete
  13. That's a frustrating experience when you think a book *should* be something right up your alley and then suddenly it's not. I'm sorry that this book had to be one of those for you! I've been excited for Fangirl's release as well, cause yeah, I'm pretty sure the whole fangirling over books is very common among us book bloggers. Perhaps I'll be in a more forgiving mood of the protagonist when I read it. Curious to find out! I appreciated your honest review!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...