Monday, 25 March 2013

A Shimmer of Angels by Lisa M Basso

GoodReads Summary: Sixteen-year-old Rayna sees angels, and has the medication and weekly therapy sessions to prove it. Now, in remission, Rayna starts fresh at a new school, lands a new job, and desperately tries for normalcy. She ignores signs that she may be slipping into the world she has tried so hard to climb out of. But these days, it’s more than just hallucinations that keep Rayna up at night. Students are dying, and she may be the only one who can stop it. Can she keep her job, her sanity, and her friends from dying at the hands of angels she can't admit to seeing?

- Add to GoodReads
On the surface A Shimmer of Angels seems like a typical Angel book, but actually it's anything but.

Rayna can see Angels and as a result she's been in a mental health institute for the past 3 years of her life. Finally free, she longs for a normal life, but a normal life doesn't seem to be in her destiny. Not long after leaving she begins seeing Angels again - first there's Cam, the new student with bright, shimmery wings and then there's Kade the Angel with a bag of secrets. But that's not all, a dark and mysterious Angel who she sees in her dreams and in a painting seems to be connected with a growing number of student-body deaths...

Rayna's best friend, Lee was awesome. He was a fun, likable sci-fi geek who constantly dropped Dr Who references. I loved the bond between these two characters, they were close without any meddling romantic feelings coming in the way.

Rayna was a strong and practical mc who was always alert and careful. One of the things I appreciated about Rayna was that when the two Angels, Kade and Cam come into her life she doesn't drool over them or feel a tug of war between them. Instead she focuses on more important things like why she can see them when no else can, and what they are doing on earth.

Both Angels have feeling towards Rayna, but it's obvious that she likes Cam. Although that could change in the sequel, but I really hope that's not the case as (highlight to read spoiler) it would be kind of creepy since Kade use to date her mum. Plus, it would be nice for once to see the 'bad boy' just being close friends with the mc.

Rating:

11 comments:

  1. Sounds like a fun angel read. I think I would like Rayna :)
    Brandi @ Blkosiner’s Book Blog

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't read many angel books. I'll add this one to my list. I like your point about meddling romantic feelings. Sometimes I just want to see a good guy-girl friendship.
    -Jenna

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's great that Rayna isn't swooning over the two Angels. That is something that always bothers me. I also like the sound from Lee and their friendship. Sci-fi geek :D

    Mel@thedailyprophecy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm so happy to hear that you liked this one! :) I have read this book a while ago and it's great. I totally agree with you. Rayna is amazing character for me, so normal in paranormal world :) Great review :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Most of the angel books I've read haven't been too great but they're still my favourite paranormal beings. Since you liked this one, Renu, I have high hopes for it. I really like the sound of the MC since she doesn't seem completely vapid.

    ReplyDelete
  6. First, I have to say I am in love with your font. I could just stare at it forever. I digress.. I didn't care too much for this one. I really have yet to found a good angel book, this one had a few too many cliches for me. I do agree that Rayna did focus on other things besides romance so I was happy to see that!

    I am a new follower via GFC and Bloglovin.
    Can't wait to see more of your reviews!
    Alise @ Readers In Wonderland

    ReplyDelete
  7. You certainly enjoyed this book more than me. I couldn't stand Rayna or even the angels. The whole plot seemed kind of whatever. But I like your review because it shows another side of the book which other readers might really enjoy! : )

    ReplyDelete
  8. The cover is really pretty :D It's nice to hear that it's not a typical Angel book. Thanks for the review. Will check this out.

    -Dannielle

    ReplyDelete
  9. Dr Who references? That's all I need to hear! ;) I think Lee and I will get along just fine. Angels can be as bad as mermaids for me (I can only really think of two angel books that I LOVED), but I'm definitely curious about this one now. Lovely review, Renu. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great review sweetie :D I seems like a pretty interesting book ;) I do love the cover. <3 Sigh. But oh. There better not be a love triangle thing in the sequel.. would not approve, lol :) But I'm glad you liked this book ;) Thank you for sharing. <3

    ReplyDelete
  11. "One of the things I appreciated about Rayna was that when the two Angels, Kade and Cam come into her life she doesn't drool over them or feel a tug of war between them. Instead she focuses on more important things like why can see them when no else can, and what they are doing on earth."

    And with that Rayna just became a heroine I want to read about! I love that she doesn't go all doe-eyed in the presence of two good looking angels, that definitely has me excited to pick this one up! Also, a huge WIN for the Dr Who references!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...