Thursday, 1 November 2012

A Temptation of Angels by Michelle Zink

GoodReads Summary: When her parents are murdered before her eyes, sixteen-year-old Helen Cartwright finds herself launched into an underground London where a mysterious organization called the Dictata controls the balance of good and evil. Helen learns that she is one of three remaining angelic descendants charged with protecting the world's past, present, and future. Unbeknownst to her, she has been trained her whole life to accept this responsibility. Now, as she finds herself torn between the angelic brothers protecting her and the devastatingly handsome childhood friend who wants to destroy her, she must prepare to be brave, to be hunted, and above all to be strong, because temptation will be hard to resist, even for an angel.

- Add to GoodReads
A Temptation of Angels is a spellbinding combination of historical fiction, fantasy and romance.
The characters of A Temptation of Angels all had distinctive voices, their interactions and relationships were conveyed beautifully and I become easily attached to them. My favourite two characters were Helen the protagonist and her love interest, Griffin. Despite having a lot on her shoulders Helen was strong when she needed to be and didn't waiver at the first sight of danger, instead she faced things head on, making her an admirable mc. I fell for Griffin almost instantly - he was charming, respectful and strong, but most of all he wasn't perfect. He had flaws which I feel added depth and realism to his character. 
The chemistry between the pair was sweet and I liked that it was slowly drawn out, it felt natural and wasn't at all rushed. 
Although there was a love triangle it didn't really annoy me as much as it usually does, because Zink handled it wonderfully. Helen was never really torn between the two guys, and there was no angst or drama which was refreshing.
If you know me you'll know I adore books set in Victorian London. Michelle Zink has done a brilliant job of bringing the era to life with her descriptive writing style, I honestly felt as if I was taken back in time accompanying Helen on her journey to find the truth.
Rating:

14 comments:

  1. A love-triangle that is good handled, I can overcome that. I love the sound of this book and I like a good Angel story. I really enjoyed her other books, so I'm looking forward to try this one out! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. How could I have overlooked this angel novel when it sounds like such an awesome-read? I'm so happy that you took the time to share your review with us, Renu! I like that Helen is admirable. And you make Griffin sound so GOOD :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've been wanting to read this one for so long Renu! I just haven't had time to pick it up yet but I'm so glad to know you loved it:) I'm really happy too that the love triangle never fully develops, I know I'll be fine with it if she has a clear preference by the end:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh I love how the author manages to mash up so much in this book yet so well, it's good to know the love triangle doesn't make an appearance until near the end of the book! I'm glad you enjoyed this one Renu! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. that is a beautiful cover! But I'm sort of... hum... not sure about angel books. Nice to know it's a stand-alone, though. And you gotta love Victorian settings. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. *chuckles* I approve of that quote. ;) Really lovely review, Renu! To be blunt, I overlooked this book because of the mediocre reviews I've seen for it thus far, but I'll definitely consider reading in light of your high praise, dear. I'm delighted you were a fan!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I was very interested in reading Temptation when it released, but ended up forgetting about it. So I'm really happy to see it here on your blog, and that you enjoyed it. Thanks for the great review!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Despite a couple of issues I had, I still enjoyed this book. Looking forward to the sequel. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  9. A Temptation of Angels! I've heard great things about this book and although I've never read anything by Michelle Zink, I'm really interested to read this one ;)

    Awesome review, Renu ♥ Glad you enjoyed it!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great review! I don't always have the best of luck with angel books, but this one sounds like something I might like. Love your choice of quote too. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  11. YES for Victorian London! Who doesn't adore Victorian London (other than people who actually lived there)? My only set back is that Zink's books never tend to be for me, which is automatically off-putting when I want to try something new. Still, I might just...

    ReplyDelete
  12. Sounds quite good. I'm really glad you enjoyed it. I think having books set in other countries/time periods can be quite fascinating...and I haven't actually read many angel novels, so it's great this one worked since I do hear some not-so-great things about other angel titles.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Renu,

    Thanks for visiting our site. Your blog is so pretty! Love your review on this. I'll add this book on my reading list. Followed back :)

    -Dannielle

    ReplyDelete
  14. I REALLY have to get started on this one! I actually have it in my eReader, but somehow never really found the time to read it. I'm so glad to hear that you enjoyed it, though! Helen sounds po-si-tute-ly brave! And a love triangle that won't make anyone feel annoyed? YESSSS.

    Great review, Renu! That was an awesome quote, too!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...